Houston may not be the first city that comes to mind when thinking about innovation and entrepreneurship, but perception isn't always reality. Those of us who were raised in Houston know that it has historically had a quirky charm, but the city has also quietly upgraded its infrastructure and improved quality of life attributes in ways that are finally earning it national attention. Here are just a few reasons why Houston may be the perfect ecosystem in which to grow a business.
- According to this CNBC article, Houston ranks in the top 25 cities to start a business.
- Research from the Greater Houston Partnership’s Economic Highlights shows Houston’s economy would rank14th in the nation if it were a state and 24th in the world if it were a country.
- Consulting firm Resonance cited Houston as America’s ‘City of the Future.'
- The Partnership’s 2017 edition of Houston Facts notes that “the region’s well-educated workforce and dense concentration of STEM workers gives Houston the knowledge base necessary to sustain tech-focused industries” (p. 23)
- According a 2017 report by Accenture, Houston is home to 140 high-growth startup tech companies with total venture funding of $1.3 billion.
- The city is also home to two of the nation’s top entrepreneurship programs – Rice University’s Rice Alliance for Technology and Entrepreneurship and the University of Houston’s Cyvia and Melvyn Wolff Center for Entrepreneurship.
- Houston is investing in its innovation ecosystem – Houston Exponential (“HX”) is a new organization that works to organize and grow the city’s innovation economy by supporting startups and attracting the right talent to the city while building its innovation district.
- Collaborative spaces like Station Houston and The Cannon aim to make Houston a world leader in technology and innovation by serving as incubators for the city’s entrepreneurial community.
- And lest anyone think Houston is all business and no play, we have more to offer than just economic perks, it’s worth mentioning that Houston frequently makes Forbes’ list of Americas Coolest Cities.
Click here to discover more reasons why Houston is an ideal place to be a young entrepreneur.